Labels

11.23.2011

Abhinav Bindra Launches Autobiography

“Practice is a talent. Hard work is a talent. Perseverance is a talent,” Abhinav Bindra said at his autobiography launch somehow amazed me. I didn't present when his autobiography launched, I just read news while surfing Google. The book launch took place at the Mysore Hall of the ITC Gardenia, Bangalore.

Abhinav Bindra is India's only Gold Medalist shooter in Olympics. The cover page is read, "A Shot at History – My Obsessive Journey to Olympic Gold". This book has 21 chapters start with how Abhinav disappointing result at Olympics Athens 2004  and the story move on to gold at Olympics Beijing 2008. 


What really interest me about this book that this book tells story from no medal to gold medal at highest level of sport competition.

“The cricketer has Test matches through the year, the tennis player has four Grand Slam events in twelve months, the golfer has the same number of majors annually. Constantly, there is an opportunity for redemption, a chance to stake a claim for greatness. Not for me. My only chance comes every four years. My only chance is seventy shots in 125 minutes every four years (the first 60 shots have to be fired in 105 minutes, each of the final ten shots within 75 seconds.”

Rahul Dravid spoke about how intimidating it was to think that Abhinav Bindra has invested his entire career to seize that one moment which only occurs once in every four years.

Abhinav Bindra talked about the ‘meditative experience’ that one gets while training in isolation and what it means to stay oblivious to things one has little control over and invest the heart and soul into what one dreams off.

Dravid conceded that he couldn’t help but notice these similarities between them. “That single minded pursuit of excellence that he talks about, it resonates with me. It is not about the gold medal, but about the quest for the perfect shot, the quest to be the best shooter he possibly can be — that for me is the essence of sport,” Dravid added.

I'm looking forward that how Olympics London 2012 will create more stories like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment